Sunday, April 8, 2012

There's An Alligator Under My Bed

Children are known to have fears of monsters, bugs, animals, and especially alligators. Having a fear in something can always be turned into a positive way by making it into something fun, and that's exactly what the author of the book There's An Alligator Under My Bed did. Mercer Mayer made fear into something everyone can overcome, especially a young child. And that's what this book is all about, even though it brings fantasy of an alligator actually being under a child's bed, it can bring the reality of childhood fear into the story.

A classroom activity you can do with your classroom is to discuss the meaning of the word "fear", and ask the class if they know the meaning and to give an example. Then read aloud this book, and go over the fear of the alligator under his bead. Then ask the students to share their own fears in their past or now, and strategies they can come up with to avoid having that fear. Also, discuss positive ways fear can have and positive ways the child can get over his or her fears.

I enjoyed this book very much, it has a fun and entertaining story line to it that allowed me to read it with some humor. I've read it to younger kids I know and they loved it. The pictures are very colorful and draw you in. I will definitely bring this book into my classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment